The Buffalo Grove Police Department offered the following safety advice in the fall edition of Village News:
- Don’t go out trick-or-treating alone or late at night. Go before dark if you can with a group of friends or even better, with your mom or dad.
- Stay in your neighborhood. If you go out after dark, stay on well lighted streets and carry a glow stick or a flashlight.
- Wear a reflective or light colored costume that can easily be seen in the dark, is nonflammable, and fits well so you don’t trip when you walk.
- Use make-up to create a spooky or fun look, rather than wearing a mask. If you wear a mask, make sure that you can see out of it easily and that it doesn’t obstruct your view.
- Don’t eat any treats until you get home and an adult has examined them thoroughly. All unwrapped candy or other treats should be thrown out. Any parent or child who suspects that candy or other treat may have been tampered with should throw it away. Immediately call 9-1-1 if a treat has been tampered with.
- Eat an early meal before going out.
- Bring your treats home for inspection before anything is eaten.
- When in doubt, throw it out!