Cook’s Name: Crystal Maleski
Town: Long Grove
Type of dish: Main Dish
What’s special about this recipe? A super easy, no fail way to make corned beef
What you’ll need:
- A slow cooker/crock pot or a large pot if you are cooking this on the stove
- 2 onions quartered
- 1 corned beef brisket with seasoning packet (size is your preference)
- 1 head of cabbage, cut into 6 wedges with core removed
- 2 cups, baby carrots
- 10 small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
(Prep Time: 10 minutes. Cooking Time: 10 hours)
1. Place quartered onions in the bottom of a slow cooker.
2. Remove corned beef from packaging and reserve spice packet if one is included. If there is an excessive amount of fat on the meat, some (not all!) of this can be trimmed off.
3. Place meat on top of onions in the slow cooker. The meat can be cut into sections if it doesn’t fit into your slow cooker. If a spice packet was included, sprinkle the contents of the spice packet on and around meat. Cover, or almost cover with water.
4. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 6-7 hours.
5. About 20-30 minutes before serving, use a ladle and remove about 2-3 cups of the liquid from the slow cooker and place this liquid in a stock pot. Add another 1-2 cups of water. Place cabbage in this water and bring to a slow boil. Cook for 10 minutes, add carrots and potatoes and cook for an additional 10 minutes
or until all vegetables are fork tender.
6. Remove corned beef from slow cooker, discarding onions. Slice and serve with boiled cabbage, carrots and potatoes.
Stove Top Method: Follow the directions listed above, but instead of using the slow cooker place the meat in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 4-5 hours. You will need to check the water level and add water to keep the brisket covered in water. 40 minutes before serving, add cabbage, carrots and potatoes to the pot.
What else you need to know: Cut the meat against the grain
Crystal Maleski runs MakeDinnerEasy.com