Joyce Kilmer Elementary School
Located in a residential area in the heart of Buffalo Grove, Joyce Kilmer Elementary serves children in kindergarten through fifth grade within the boundaries of District 21. The school mascot is the cougar.
Kilmer Principal Kim Zinman and PTO members take pride in the diversity of the school, which serves children from Buffalo Grove as well as Wheeling. Kilmer staff members are focused on the needs of each child and helping students learn through traditional academics as well as finding teaching opportunities based on students' strengths and interests.
The school has a dedicated PTO which uses money raised through events such as an annual gift wrap sale to provide cultural arts experiences, evening and weekend programs and supplementary materials for the school.
- Fax: 847-520-2601
- Hours: School Hours: Mon-Fri, 9am-3:30pm; Kindergarten: 9-11:30am or 1-3:30pm; Office Hours: 8:15am-4:15pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 500
- Public/Private: Public
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 23:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 50
- How engaged is the school with the community?: We host several family events throughout the year, and we have opportunities for families and community members to volunteer. The kids do service projects throughout the year, and we always try to link them to something in the community.
- What makes this community special?: Kilmer is a diverse, welcoming family.
- Extracurricular activities available: Band, Orchestra, Choir, Computer Club, Patrol, Lunch Room Helpers, Student Council, Pep Squad, Peer Tutoring, Battle of the Books
- Sports teams: Intramurals