One year ago today, Buffalo Grove Patch hit the Web. And what a year it’s been.
To say the least, there has been no shortage of news in Buffalo Grove. And, making my job as editor even easier, members of the community eagerly have embraced Patch, sharing their stories, opinions, photos and lives with us.
Coming into this role, which required me to not only learn about the community, but introduce Buffalo Grove to a brand-new media platform, I wasn’t sure how hard it would be or how long it would take to make Patch a go-to place for local news. The reception from Buffalo Grove was warmer and more enthusiastic than I had ever hoped.
While today is Buffalo Grove Patch’s milestone, your response to this site has made me feel as though every day is my own birthday. Thank you so much.
Much has changed on Patch since we introduced the site to you on Sept. 7, 2010. Those of you who have been with us since the beginning have seen site redesigns and have watched — and participated — as we’ve rolled out new ways for you to engage on Patch. Truly, it is your participation that makes Patch so special.
There are so many ways in which you can receive and share news and ideas on Patch, that it’s becoming hard to keep up with them. Here’s a quick recap:
- Does a particular story strike a chord with you? Share your thoughts by posting a comment or responding to someone else’s.
- Do you have information about something we’ve covered? Upload your own photos and documents to existing stories.
- Do you have a great photo from an event, your child’s birthday party or just a nature shot that you’d love to share? Email it, with a short description, to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be posted on Patch.
- Did you have a great experience with a Buffalo Grove business? Or perhaps a less desirable one? Find its listing under the Places tab and rate its service or write a review.
- Did you or your child receive an award, get a promotion, lose a pet, make your bar mitzvah or get married? Shout it out to your neighbors by posting a public announcement.
- Is there something you no longer need, or something you want to purchase? Looking for a job? Check out our Marketplace, where you can post and browse free classified ads.
- Is your school, church or organization planning a public event? Share it with Patch by adding it to our community calendar.
- Is something bugging you, or is there someone who deserves some public recognition? Submit a comment in the “What do you have to say?” box on Patch’s homepage, or email a letter to the editor to email@example.com.
- Are you interested in sharing your opinions, expertise, or news from your organization on a regular basis? Sign up to write a blog on Patch. It’s free, and it’s a great way to reach your community.
Also, don’t forget to keep up with the activity on Patch by subscribing to our daily email newsletter, “liking” us on Facebook and following us on Twitter. Look for the “Follow This Patch” link at the top right corner of our homepage for easy access to these tools and others.
These ideas are, to keep with our birthday theme, just the icing on the cake, so to speak. If it has been a while since you’ve explored all that Patch has to offer, I invite you to take a minute to check out all of the free, easy-to-use functions on the site.
Thank you again for welcoming Patch onto your screen in and into your life. I realize it might be a bit over the top to invite you to join me in a birthday song. But if you see me at Starbucks this week, I’ll be happy to buy you a celebratory cup of coffee or a bakery treat. I promise to spare you any singing. Instead, let’s just skip to, “and many more.”