HPF, the Homeownership Preservation Foundation, is an independent nonprofit that runs the national Homeowner’s HOPE Hotline at 888-995-HOPE. Each day, the HOPE Hotline receives over 4,000 calls from homeowners across the country who need guidance and information about their personal housing crisis. The HOPE Hotline has served more than six million consumers since 2007 and already received over 18,000 calls from residents of Illinois so far this year.
Below is more information about the legitimate help available through the HOPE Hotline, which has counselors available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and in over 170 different languages.
· Act as a liaison between the homeowner and lender in exploring realistic options to support sustainable homeownership
· Identify and explain available options including modifications, repayment plans, and government programs
· Create an action plan for getting out of financial trouble by analyzing the overall financial situation and customizing advice to fit each caller’s unique situation
· Refer homeowners to local resources and programs that help those in financial needs – in fact, counselors link homeowners to other local services in 95% of HPF cases
· Offer anti-scam counseling for those who believe they may have been the victim of a mortgage scam
Callers to the HOPE Hotline (888-995-HOPE) speak to an informed individual within 30 seconds and a trained professional nonprofit counselor usually within two minutes. 70% of those counseled report that they are still in their homes a year later, having avoided foreclosure.